Does anyone else get stressed out before a photo shoot? As much as I do them for the blog, you would think that they would be no big deal to me any anymore, but the whole process of getting ready yourself, planning outfits, and hoping your kid will cooperate is exhausting! Here’s hoping these photo shoot tips and outfit ideas will help you and your family have a little less stress in your next family photo shoot.
The day before our family photo shoot, we found out that Leyton had Hand Foot Mouth. You can imagine how everyone felt about that! Poor buddy! Thanks goodness Leyton is better now, but needless to say we still don’t have our family photos yet.
- Plan ahead – Don’t wait until the last minute to throw outfits on yourself and the rest of the family. You won’t feel good about it and will likely end up with wrinkled clothes that don’t coordinate at all.
- Coordinate – You don’t want everyone matching. Nobody has their own unique look! You do want to coordinate. I suggest picking a few complimentary colors and sticking to that.
- I always, always, always say that neutrals or muted colors look best in photos.Using these colors keep you as the focal point. They are the most pleasing to the eye and create a bright, airy looking image.
- Don’ t Wear Logos/Graphics/Bold patterns – This will make everything look way too busy and you will get lost in the background of your clothes. We want you to be the focus. Instead, let the interest come in with textures. You’ll notice Heather added texture with her Charlotte London blazer she threw on as an option and with Leyton’s pant legs and the sweater.
- Don’t Over Accessorize – It’s totally fine to accessorize, but don’t overdo it and put on every piece of jewelry and scarf you own. Again, this will take focus away from you and onto what you are wearing.
- Think Timeless – You want these pictures to have a classic feel you will look back on for years to come and still love. Try to avoid super trendy looks that will date your images.
- Be Comfortable!!! – These tips are my personal opinion based on my experience as a photographer. The most important thing is that you be comfortable in whatever it is you’re wearing! If you aren’t comfortable, it will show in your images. Wear whatever makes you feel your best!
Shop Women’s Clothing Photo Shoot Ideas: Long maxi dress // Long sleeve t-shirt dress // Long sleeve tunic // Tunic // Long sleeve knit top // Pullover sweater // Bell sleeve sweater // Fringe cardigan // Open front cardigan // Levi’s // Colored jeggings // Blanket scarf // Plain infinity scarf // Poncho // Pashmina scarfShop Men’s Clothing Photo Shoot Ideas: Jeans // Slim fit jeans // Button down shirt // Flannel shirt // Long sleeve polo // Jacket // Vest // Boots // Brown watch // Black watch
With Leyton, I try to let him be running around playing with me or doing other things and let the photographer work their magic. Anytime we try to set up for a perfect photo, it turns into a total melt down.
- No SPF Makeup: I have foundation WITHOUT SPF for photo shoot days that is a little heavier that I use for the camera. SPF in your makeup can play with the camera and can sometimes make you look shinier.
- Heavier Makeup: Don’t go crazy, but feel free to put on a little thicker coat of mascara, a little extra blush, and maybe a tad heavier foundation to help your look read slightly elevated for the camera. You still want to look like yourself, so don’t go too crazy with this one.
- White Definition for Eyes: A trick I learned in broadcast (when I thought I wanted to do that many moons ago) is to put a touch of white eye shadow in the corners of your eyes. You can even line the lower inner corner of your eye with white liner to make the whites of your eyes appear a bit whiter and to make your eyes pop more.
- My girl Meg O is the beauty guru and she did a whole post/video on makeup for photos if you want to check it out!
What did I miss? I’d love to hear what you got to wear in your family photo shoot this year! Please share in the comments below!
Free Pantry Staples List
Get the FREE Clean Eating Pantry Staples Printable List plus healthy living lifestyle tips from MyLifeWellLoved.com!