Traveling and summer are synonymous words. It’s a chance to refresh your mind and soul, hit the reset button and get away. One of my favorite quotes about traveling is:
“The world is a book and those who do not travel only read one page.”
I am incredibly lucky that Eric and I have gotten to travel to Bora Bora, New York City, New Zealand, the beach, the lake and many other incredible spots. Whether it’s a weekend or two weeks, there’s something powerful about traveling.
The worst thing though is to get sick on vacation. Scientists and doctors have concluded that when you are in your regular routine of stresses and strains from work, your body senses you don’t have time to slow down and repair. So, when you go on vacation, many times you’ll end up with a cold, a headache or otherwise sick because your body realizes this is the time it can slow down and repair. Let’s beat the “system” shall we?
Here’s some tips to help you feel your best when you travel:
1. Travel during the day and try to stick to a normal-ish schedule. Avoid running yourself down more by getting the sleep you need. Keep your circadian rhythms flowing as evenly as possible and try to go to bed and wake up around the same time you normally do.
2. Hydration is key. It’s easy to get dehydrated while flying or traveling to a warmer climate. Make sure to pack an empty water bottle you can can refill in the airport once you get through security and keep it handy while hiking, laying on the beach, or exploring a new city. This Pure Barre tervis tumbler goes on pretty much every plane trip with me. You may recognize this shot from my Instagram from our Ireland trip!
3. Stay regular. Traveling and different foods can take a toll on your body keeping you all stopped up. One solution I have found for this is to take a probiotic such as Align from Target. Align Probiotics fortifies your digestive system with healthy bacteria 24/7. Also, Target is offering 15% off until 7/19 with the Cartwheel app! I first learned about probiotics when we were instructed to take them before going on a mission trip to help prepare our system with good bacteria.
4. Lace up and Get Out! Whether you hit the hotel gym for 20 minutes, walk along the beach, schedule a Pure Barre or yoga class in a new city or just bust out some pushups and sit ups in your room with a HIIT workout, keep your body active!
5. Healthy Foods. Even though you can splurge on vacation, keep filling your body with the good stuff! Whether you grab a juice or opt for a salad for lunch, give your body all the nutrients it needs to stay running at optimum.
What tips and tricks do you use to feel your best when you travel?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.