This weekend was so much fun! Eric and I got lots of time to have alone time, enjoy a date night, play tennis, watch Iron Man 3 and we also got to spend a good amount of time with fabulous friends and even squeezed in a 5k race! (I’ll fill you in on all that later though.) I figured since I was exercising so much, I had earned a treat. As many of you know from following me on Pinterest, I’m really into building up a list of healthier desserts right now….and I’ve created a whole board just for that!
We went over to our friends’ house Saturday night and were treated to grapefruit margaritas, kale artichoke dip & chips, grilled pork tenderloin & a strawberry balsamic goat cheese salad! I was asked to bring a dessert and since Erin and I both work at Pure Barre, we tried to keep it on the healthy side. I ended up stumbling upon this recipe from Remodelaholic and went to baking!
Of course, I had to add my own little twist which was pretty ingenious if I do say so myself. I made these brownie muffins but served them with hazelnut gelato…perfecto! And with only 5 ingredients, this recipe is simple.
These little desserts are best eaten warm from the oven and served with Hazelnut ice cream. I like that this recipe only makes a few muffins so you’re forced to keep portion control in mind. My batch only made 8 so divided amongst four of us, we each had two, which was the perfect amount to get our sweet fix without totally blowing it.
- 1 cup hazelnut spread (Nutella)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- Optional: hazelnut ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs, hazelnut spread and vanilla together.
- Add flour and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Mix until combined.
- Using a regular sized muffin tin, line 7-9 cupcakes with paper or foil cupcake liners. Spoon batter into liners until they are about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until they are cracking on the top.
- Serve warm with hazelnut ice cream.