Even if you worked out a lot pre-baby, many times during pregnancy or certainly after delivery working out can fall off your list of to-do’s. Between your body recovering, figuring out how to nurse, getting on a schedule, falling off said schedule and learning a new one, chasing after a toddler, and tantrums, there are a million excuses you can find to NOT workout. However, there are big benefits of exercising with baby that I’ve personally found that make it worth the effort!
As you may remember, I did a 15 minute mom and baby exercise video with my friends at Homefit a while back and I still workout in my home every Tuesday and Friday with Homefit and Leyton. I also love to watch workout videos with Leyton and also grab the stroller and go for a family walk with him. Eric will do his pushups and such on the floor and Leyton always things that’s such a great thing to get involved in. 🙂
Benefits of Exercising with Baby:
- Working harder: Since you are working small muscles differently since the baby you are holding is unstable, you end up working harder and targeting muscles you didn’t even know need to be worked!
- Rest better: When baby works out energy and gets a creative way to express their energy, they will sleep better later, and guess what?! You just might do the same!
- Bond with baby: Although this may seem like a no-brainer, it still means a lot! You get to bond with your baby over your exercise. Instead of feeling guilty about leaving baby in childcare or “neglecting” your sweet little one, you can incorporate baby by laughing, talking and using baby as a weight where applicable.
- Instill good habits: What a joy to instill good habits from an early age! Leyton loves getting involved with us down on the floor while I foam roll, or while Eric does push up’s. This is a great way to show your child that being active is both fun and foundational.
- Fit in your fitness: Instead of compartmentalizing your workout and the time you spend exercising, you can multi-task! Consider how much fun your workout can be for baby and really laugh and cut up with them during this time to make for a meaningful bonding time + workout time for you.
Shop the athleisure look:
Laura, Jessica and I are still holding down the Paleo Challenge this month and hope you are enjoying the journey with us! Make sure you check out how Laura works out with her baby in her post, Jessica’s ab workout and don’t forget to head to my Instagram tonight to enter to win some Wear it to Heart athleisure clothes of your choice like what I’m wearing in this post! I love that my shirt is reversible and how my pants are high-waisted to stay in place and suck me in while I run or walk with Leyton.
What benefits of exercising with baby do you see or want to see? I’d love to hear in the comments below!